Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My 9th Reflection – Initiatives in Assessment

My 9th  Reflection
10th November 2010

The agenda for the night:
1)      performance assessment
2)      rubrics
3)      a look at international assessment
4)      formative assessment

We had our outdoor activity that night where we tried to measure the height of the pillar using the measuring tools Dr Yeap had prepared for us. It was enjoyable as we thought of and discussed the different ways of measuring the height. Some of us tried measuring the height using the measuring tape – a direct method of measurement.Others measured the length of the tiles on the steps and walls and multiplied them eg – 46 x 15 cm = 690cm to get the answers. There were those used estimations and properties of triangles to get the height. It was when we had the hands-on activities. In the classroom, we discussed the different ways and some of us were pleased to get the answers right. Dr Yeap showed examples of performance task where we, as teachers could assess our pupils’ ability by observing the way they perform the tasks or finding the solutions to the problems. We were told to list down our answers on which methods made sense to us, which did not, and which methods that I could have thought of myself. It was a good way to reflect on the measurement activity.
 He emphasized the importance of assessing the skills and competencies that have been taught to the pupils. When using rubrics, it should be made simple, straightforward (with the core competencies spelt out clearly) with not too many categories in them. Students should be encouraged to reflect on their completed tasks where they get to explain the process on how they have come up with their answers so that they can develop their thinking and reasoning skills. Getting pupils to do their work in their exercise books or portfolios would be a good way of for teachers to know in greater detail of the performance of each child as we have a collection of the pupils’ work with us. I have learnt that we could get pupils to learn Mathematics in  a fun and engaging by choosing the right activities which are suitable to their ability, relate to everyday life and the right assessment tools to enhance teaching and learning in the classroom.
Dr Yeap ended the class with a quote from Albert Einstein “Anything that is measurable is not important, Anything that is not measurable is important” which left me thinking about it as I left the classroom that night.




1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete